Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Faithfulness

So I have decided as of late to try and really try to embody the fruits of the Spirit. Partly because I picked up a book on living with the Holy Spirit and partly because if I am to do so, I need the fruit of that spirit to show in my life. Today in my nightly devotional the verse read, "So then, let us be looked upon as ministering servants of Christ and stewards of the secret purposes of God. Moreover, it is required [essential] of stewards that a man should be found faithful" (1 Cornithians 4:1-2). The writing outlined three key things: a faithful person knows what God puts on their heart and although they may become weary at times, they do not give up. Secondly, we must be faithful with circumstances until God lets us know we are finished with them and thirdly, whatever God tells us to do, we must do it.

Its funny because I never thought of faithfulness in any other forms other than a) not cheating on your spouse and b) not leaving Christianity. It is interesting to me how God is calling me to be faithful in the situations he has placed me in because currently it is exactly what I am not doing. Lately I have felt a bit lost. Why UBC? Why Earls? Why Vancouver? Why! And, the list goes on and on with situations and places that I am restless in. I know and I am confident that God has wonderful things planned for me in accordance with these platforms that I currently cannot understand. He sees my tomorrow, my five years from now and He knows that the steps I take tomorrow will ultimately lead me closer to the purposes He has foreseen and laid out, even if I cannot yet see them. So even though lately I feel as though I am wandering without purpose, calling out to God for peaks into the crystal ball, He calls me to use the spirit within me to find strength and be faithful. To keep an attentive ear, and without reservation, fear or question, reach out my hand to His and make the steps on the path He is already set before me. For if we are full of faith, there is no more need to question God's flawless design for my tomorrow.

The other day I was sitting in Chapters reading a book by Max Lucado entitled “Fearless”. I flipped to a chapter on “doubting God” because I felt as though in all my protesting towards where God has me right now, I was surely doubting Him. Lucado went on to explain that sometimes God lets things happen to us, or pushes us through situations that at the time are seemingly meaningless yet become infinitely important later on, perhaps even in our new life to come. He painted the picture of a baby in the womb, growing fingers and nails that he or she has no apparent use for, forming lungs that have not yet known what it is to breathe or developing eyes that, although never opened while created, will be witness to beauty indescribable one day. All of these which are perceivably useless at the time become necessary for the life to come. He emphasized that although there are times where we lack the wisdom to see purpose, God knows that it will be inconceivable to live without those experiences one day. They are a part of our formation as children of Christ. Until their purposes are revealed He calls us to be faithful and put our doubts and questioning to rest until we can fully understand His plan and purposes.

No comments:

Post a Comment