Tuesday, August 11, 2009



Now that I have had the pleasure of spending one week here in Costa Rica I am convinced of this: it is beautiful! I constantly find myself enchanted by my surroundings, captivated by their ever-evolving splendour. It is a refreshing reminder of God’s glory, a minor glimpse of heaven seeping through what is known to be a greatly impoverished country. Interestingly enough, there is nothing glamorous about Costa Rica in the slightest. When one has lived life equating beauty with perfection this place does not reach anywhere near the normal standards. However, it holds its own standard altogether. Upon taking a very interesting route home from the beach this afternoon we drove through miles and miles of lush, green, mountainous terrain, floating above clouds and land while encompassed by God’s untouched creation. Flowers grew without restraint, rivers ran without disturbance and wild butterflies glided gracefully, weaving through the quiet bustle of the rainforest. Lacking the towering skyscrapers of Vancouver and the forged lighting of the city, it was an incredible introduction to something that was beautiful untouched.
One of the smaller goals of my list of things “to do in life” was to re-work my idea of beauty. This was partly because I somehow felt I did not fully understand or perhaps I did not (maybe still do not) know what beauty truly is. I feel that somehow I have been shown a poisoned image of beauty to live up to, one which is almost impossible to obtain by its own standards. Therefore, it is both refreshing and captivating to be blessed with such a beautiful location to live in. That is all!


2 comments:

  1. Christie, your blogs are fabulous! I’m so thrilled that we get to hear what’s happening with you in CR – it sounds like you’re having an amazing time and your eyes are being opened wide! Thanks for the updates; I miss you tons! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Christie!

    I love you thoughts on beauty

    ReplyDelete